Evaluate alternatives for the replacement of a batch chemical production facility incinerator.
PROCESS EMISSIONS CONTROL ALTERNATIVES TECHNICAL AND ECONOMIC EVALUATION
The client owns and operates a specialty chemicals production facility and wished to replace the existing facility control device, an incinerator designed primarily for the treatment of liquid waste sulfur, with control devices designed more specifically for treatment of process vent streams from three separate production areas. Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was subcontracted by a major architect/engineering firm to perform three separate technical and economic evaluations for vent stream emissions control.
Each technical and economic evaluation included completion of the following work tasks:
- Process design basis development, including vent stream characterizations
- Regulatory design basis development, including required control system removal efficiencies
- Alternatives technical screening to eliminate control alternatives not technically suitable for the application
- Alternative mass and energy balance and process flow diagram preparation
- Vendor bids request preparation and review for the purpose of establishing alternatives purchase costs
- Capital, operating, and annual cost estimates preparation
- Control system selection based on technical and economic considerations.
The first evaluation involved a batch production process that emits H2S as a reaction byproduct. PROCESS technically screened available control alternatives and performed detailed technical and economic evaluations for the following alternatives:
- Claus (or equivalent) sulfur recovery unit
- Sodium hydrosulfide (NaHS) reaction/recovery unit
- Fume incineration system.
Based on the results of the evaluation, the NaHS recovery system was recommended by PROCESS and accepted by the client for the control application.
The second evaluation involved two production areas that emit organic, chloride, and phosphorus compounds. PROCESS again technically screened available control alternatives and performed detailed technical and economic evaluations for the following alternatives:
- Chilled condenser/absorber system
- Fume incineration system.
Based on the results of the evaluation, the fume incineration system was recommended by Process and accepted by the client for the control application.
The final control system evaluation involved comparing the implementation of a new fume incineration system with the retrofit of the existing liquids incinerator for the above application. Based on technical and economic considerations, the new system was selected for the control application.
- Batch Specialty Chemical
- Alternatives technical evaluation
- Alternatives economic evaluation
- Front End Engineering Design (FEED)
Copyright © 2013 Process Engineering Associates, LLC. All rights reserved.