Design a fume incineration system to burn organic compounds and recover hydrochloric acid.
FUME INCINERATION SYSTEM PROCESS DESIGN
The client owns and operates a specialty chemicals production facility and wished to replace the existing facility control device, an incinerator designed primarily for the treatment of liquid waste sulfur, with a new fume incineration system designed to destroy process vent streams organic compounds and recover HCl as concentrated hydrochloric acid. Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was subcontracted by a major architect/engineering firm to perform the process design for the new fume incineration system.
The process design project included completion of the following tasks:
- Process design basis development, including vent stream characterizations
- Regulatory design basis development, including required control system removal efficiencies
- Process mass and energy balance computer simulations
- Process design, and process flow diagram (PFD) and process description preparation
- Process control system design, and process control diagram (PCD) and process control description preparation
- Piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs) preparation
- Equipment specifications development
- Vendor bids request preparation and vendor bids review
Process design basis development included process vent stream physical and chemical characterizations, and flow rates determination. Regulatory design basis development included determination of required destruction/removal efficiencies and emissions limits for organic compounds and products of combustion. In-house process simulation computer technology as well as commercial process simulation software were used to develop mass and energy balance cases for the purpose of bracketing system operating parameters. The PFD depicted process unit operations and detailed mass and energy balance information for the major process streams. The PCD depicted major system control loops, monitoring points, and interlocks. The P&IDs showed all system instrumentation, piping components, and process line information. Equipment specifications, prepared for the system unit operations, presented performance and design information requisite for procurement of the equipment. A general specification detailing overall bid requirements was prepared as well.
The fume incineration system contained the following primary unit operations:
- Fume incinerator
- Quench chamber
- HCl absorber
- Absorber pumps, solution recycle tank, and recycle cooler
- Tail gas scrubber
- Scrubber pumps, liquor recycle tank, and recycle cooler
- Induced draft (ID) fan
- Mist eliminators
- Specialty Chemical Manufacturing
- Incinerator design
- Process and regulatory basis development
- Vendor bid package preparation
- Control systems design
- P&ID, PFD and PCD preparation
- Front end engineering design (FEED) study
- Basic engineering package (BEP)
Copyright © 2016 Process Engineering Associates, LLC. All rights reserved.