Evaluate PHA open action items related to the flare header system and recommend changes to the equipment, piping, relief valves, and relief header system to ensure overpressure protection.
PETROLEUM REFINERY FLARE STUDY UPDATES AND PHA ACTION ITEMS RESOLUTION
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) has assisted the client in maintaining its relief valve evaluations and flare header model for several years. PROCESS has also performed numerous process hazards analyses (PHAs) for this client - both PHAs of existing and new installations as well as PHA revalidations. The client contracted PROCESS to evaluate a number of open action items from various PHAs regarding process equipment overpressure protection, relief valve sizing, and flare header hydraulics. The client asked PROCESS to evaluate these open action items and recommend changes to the equipment, piping, relief valves, and relief header system as warranted to ensure proper overpressure protection.
PROCESS performed the following tasks in support of this effort:
- Worked with the client to identify and fully understand the pertinent action items.
- Utilized the client’s heat and material balances, process flow diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams, operating data, equipment and control valve datasheets, purchasing, and maintenance records, and field-verified data (by the client) to evaluate the relief valves involved in the respective action items for proper sizing.
- Utilized PROCESS' in-house relief valve sizing program and licensed commercial computer process simulation software to evaluate each overpressure scenario and the respective relief valve(s) for acceptability. Based on the results of these evaluations, PROCESS recommended corrective actions for ensuring proper overpressure protection of process equipment.
- Utilized simulation tools to model the hydraulics of the relief scenarios in the refinery flare header model to determine backpressures at the respective relief valves, identify relief valves and piping segments with excessive backpressure, and recommend corrective actions for reducing the backpressure to acceptable levels.
- Compiled the action items, calculations and supporting documentation, and recommendations into a project notebook and technical report for submittal to the client.
- Petroleum Refining
- Pressure relief valve (PRV) or pressure safety valve (PSV) sizing
- Relief valve backpressure analysis
- PHA action items engineering support
Copyright © 2016 Process Engineering Associates, LLC. All rights reserved.