Update refinery relief header/flare simulation model for the addition of a Platformer Benzene Saturation Unit and its attendant relief valves, tail pipes, and relief sub-header.
PLATFORMER BENZENE SATURATION UNIT RELIEF HEADER CAPACITY EVALUATION
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) has maintained the client’s refinery-wide relief header and flare system model for several years over the course of at least three prior projects.
PROCESS was contracted by the client to update the refinery relief header/flare model for the addition of a Platformer Benzene Saturation Unit and its attendant pressure relief valves, tail pipes, and relief sub-header. This new header is to be tied into the existing relief header network. The client also tasked PROCESS with identifying relief scenarios with excessive backpressure and recommending ways to reduce the backpressure.
PROCESS performed the following tasks in support of this effort:
- Based on information provided by the client (relief sub-header isometric piping drawings developed by the technology provider and detail engineering firm), PROCESS built the relief sub-header and relief valve tail piping into the existing relief header/flare system simulation model
- Based on information provided by the client (heat and material balances and relief valve calculations developed by the technology provider and detail engineering firm), PROCESS built the relief stream compositions and flow rates into the existing relief header / flare system simulation model
- Performed hydraulic simulations for each of the twelve (12) defined relief scenarios and summarized the resulting backpressures at the discharge of the respective relief valves
- Identified and tested potential piping and/or relief valve changes to eliminate problems with excessive backpressure at the relief valve discharges
- Summarized the hydraulic evaluation results and recommendations in a letter report to the client.
- Petroleum Refining
- Pressure relief valve (PRV) and pressure safety valve (PSV) design
- Flare header design
- Process system hydraulic analysis
Copyright © 2017 Process Engineering Associates, LLC. All rights reserved.